Trinidad Is The Place For Me [Song]


Uploaded by mistou68

TRINIDAD IS THE PLACE FOR ME
By King Selewa

Tell 'em "no" me wouldn't go, mama
Away from Trinidad, o mama
So tell 'em "no" me wouldn't go, doudou
Away from Port o Spain, o doudou
Trinidad is de place for me
Come an' see di ol' papa Willy
O mama dey'o
O mama dey'o!

Clear di way weeeeee! di bamboo play, mama
Breakaway an' dingolay mama
Yeah what a thrill, Caresser sing, mama
"Madame Khan" an' "Exploitin'", mama
Come wid me to San Fernando
Tiger sing "Oti na bo nigbo"
O mama dey'o
O mama dey'o!

Trinidad is de place for me, mama
It is nice, La Trinity, mama
So tell 'em "no" me wouldn't go, doudou
Away from Port o Spain, o doudou
Come wid me to Point Cumana
Invader sing ol' time kalinda
O mama dey'o
O mama dey'o!

Source: The lyrics for this song were kindly provided by King Selewa.
..............................................................................................................................



A Note From The Gull


I don't know, but if Calypso were a woman, the tribute to her that is the music of King Selewa and his Calypsonians would be like a refreshing breeze blowing across her face. I think that she would turn smiling towards it and begin to dance. Thank you, King Selewa!

A brief note about King Selewa & His Calypsonians

King Selewa was born in Togo. He started his musical trip as a ska, rock steady and reggae singer, heavily influenced by the music of 60's Jamaica. He continued learning more about the roots of this musical genre and discovered and fell in love with the original calypso from Trinidad and Tobago.

He recorded a ska reggae record in 2004. See more info at www.lordskalipsoul.com

Here are two examples of his ska and reggae influenced works:

"LORD SKALIPSOUL: ODE TO COMPAY"


and "GEBRESSELASSIE RUN"


A few years later he then recorded a calypso LP "Calypso Invasion" on the world music label ARC music. In the summer of 2009, the band released a second LP on ARC Music entitled "Back to mi home."

King Selewa has mixed his African influences with calypso...in songs like:

"MAMI WATTA",


"OLOMIA",


"UNDER DI MANGO TREE"


"MAMITO'S CALYPSO".



Another of my favourites is King Selewa's version of Caresser's 1938 "Exploiting". I love the minor key, the plaintive "violin" weaving through the background and the stark, unadorned strum of the rhythm leaving the listener to focus on the voices of King Selewa and his backup singer bringing soothing and mysterious messages of their own. Something about the way that this song was performed brought to my attention it's potential as a enchanting story set to music, a lullaby also for a child drifting off to dreamland with visions of adventure in a silent Zeppelin. I love the soft repetition of the "Buy me a Zeppelin".



"Patria est communis omnium parens" - Our native land is the common parent of us all. Keep it beautiful, make it even more so.

Blessed is all of creation
Blessed be my beautiful people
Blessed be the day of our awakening
Blessed is my country
Blessed are her patient hills.

Mweh ka allay!
Guanaguanare

15 comments:

mistou68 said...

Happy U like King's music ! Thanxs for all your adds.. For your words.
Very touched..

Guanaguanare said...

Mistou68, thanks for visiting and leaving your kind comment. The pleasure is mine.

I am captivated by the interpretations and reworkings of classic calypso by King Selewa & His Caplysonians. I sincerely believe that he has not just accepted its gifts but that he is laying his own unique gifts at its feet. As I said before, I love what he has done with Lord Caresser's 1938 "Exploiting." I cannot speak for Lord Caresser, of course, but I am left delighted whenever I listen to it.

Thank you, mistou68, for uploading King Selewa's music to YouTube. I would not have discovered it otherwise.
Blessings

Maximilian C. Forte said...

Are you coming back to blogging here regularly again? I hope so, you have been missed.

Guanaguanare said...

Max, it's good music that is coming back. I'm just following. As soon as I discovered King Selewa's music I had to share it with everyone. Thanks for your kind comment.
Blessings

mistou68 said...

Coucou Guanaguanare !!

Passing by just to say U that I put a new vid on line.. A sort of mix about the last King's cd.. Hope U' like it ;-) Thoughts ♥♥

Guanaguanare said...

Salut mistou68!!
Good to hear from you. Apologies for being so scattered lately. King Selewa must have given up on me as I've owed him for the longest while, a response about something else. Please forgive! But where exactly is this new video? Let me know so that I can go listen.
Blessings

Unknown said...

here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmUQJkwRZFI

bless!

Mistou68 said...

It's on my channel, Guana :-))

I wait after U !! Kind regard from France !!

wsteffie said...

Love the site and the music, thank's for sharing:-)

louis said...

Guanaguanare,

"Blessed be the day of our awakening"... and this is a blessed day for me. This day came late, more than a year after your November 2008 post "How can we keep from singing". Listening tonight, January 4, 2010 to "Missa Telemac" was an awakening to a beauty I had missed.

Thanks for this blessed day.

Louis

Guanaguanare said...

wsteffie,
Thanks for visiting and also for your kind comment. All the best for the new year!
Blessings

Guanaguanare said...

Louis,
On behalf of all the wonderful musicians/performers, I happily accept your thanks. You are feeling the joy that I feel. I call it Love and for this I am forever grateful to our country.

"Patria est communis omnium parens" - Our native land is the common parent of us all.

Keep it beautiful, make it even more so.

Blessed is all of creation
Blessed be my beautiful people
Blessed be the day of our awakening
Blessed is my country
Blessed are her patient hills.

Blessings always.

Guanaguanare said...

Thanks Mistou68 and Terry! Sorry about the delay. Just checking comments today, Jan 06, 2010. Happy New Year to you both!
Blessings

mistou68 said...

Hello Guanaguanare !!

A new vid on line, from a new King's song... While hoping you appreciate !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wka_QLLZt_4

See you soon !!

Guanaguanare said...

Mistou,
A million thanks! I LOVE it and have already posted "Song of Freedom" along with my comments on this blog. Please also give my thanks to King Selewa.
Blessings