Collateral Damage

COLLATERAL DAMAGE
Performed by Kizzy Ruiz
Composed by Dermotte Pierre

So much blood they spill, they killing at will
Beautiful Trinbago is now a valley of sorrow
Careful how you walk, to whom and how you talk
This land that was so blessed, now like the wild, wild West
While we shivering in fright, our leaders tell us it’s all right
Don’t be appalled, some damage is collateral.

Yes, so one of these days, who is to say
A stray bullet might ricochet
An innocent bystander could become a victim of murder
Or casually strolling down the road, "Pow, pow!", a gun explode
And this outspoken critic becomes another statistic
But my leader blatantly say, they on top of security
Who getting kill have cocoa in the rain
Tell that to the Movie Town victim with the cartridge up in she brain
Lord, I ‘fraid I end up as, collateral damage in Port of Spain.

Maybe it’s just me, being too picky
Who causing the trouble, they seem so untouchable
A tractor blown up, a woman house shoot up
Up in Beverly Hills, Hollywood meets Laventille
NHA name in the mess, still nobody get arrest
Seem to me, somebody have full immunity.

So, one of these days, who is to say, a bullet might ramajay
And me with my big head, just so might end up dead
Every citizen, I suppose, is very cautious where he goes
But by sheer coincidence, could still fall to violence
But my wise Prime Minister say everything is in order,
Murder’s gang related in the main
I feel like I should be wearing a bullet proof helmet for my brain
'Cause I ‘fraid I end up as collateral damage in Port of Spain

I afraid, I real afraid! Hear dis one!

The Crime Committee, then ups and upset we
Say, beyond reason and rhyme, take “Me” out of crime
Is all of we to blame, we should bow our heads in shame
We promoting crime outright every time we break a traffic light
For like the streams that turn to seas, it’s just a matter of degrees
Listen Chief, dat sounding like, “All ah we tief.” You ent find?

But one of these days on the pavement
I might pass through an argument
One minute I walking, but next minute gun talking
Or casually strolling down the street, two bad boys get in a heat
I minding my business, next day rigor mortis
But my Leader candidly say be happy, doh worry
The average citizen ent feeling no pain. Not at all!
But when I in my coffin, it's a little too late for me to complain
Resting in peace, I shall remain, collateral damage in Port of Spain

You hear that! Imagine I get shoot and they just dismiss me as collateral damage! What a thing!

Suddenly T&T plunge into uncertainty
The crime rate keep rising, but that not so surprising
Everyday is kidnapping, a next one them boys snatching
The Boss say, doh worry, doh fear for your safety
The average citizen all right, is over drugs them gangs does fight
Take a stroll, once you sure you ent owing Dole.

So, one of these days, who is to say, a gang war might break away
And I caught in the crossfire, another victim of murder
A slaughtered lamb might come to harm, but we shouldn’t be alarmed
Dismiss them as garbage, collateral damage
You see my Leader and he posse, have full time security
And their children far outside from the pain
When Denyse did sing “Nah Leaving”, I and all did join the refrain
But now I ‘fraid I end up as, collateral damage in Port of Spain.

Source: The lyrics posted on this blog are often transcribed directly from performances. Although it is my intention to faithfully transcribe I do not get all the words and I have a knack for hearing the wrong thing. Please feel free to correct me or to fill in the words that I miss by dropping me a message via e-mail. I'd be forever grateful. Thanks in advance!
..............................................................................................................................




A Note From The Gull


Thank you, Kizzy Ruiz!

"Patria est communis omnium parens" - Our native land is the common parent of us all. Keep it beautiful, make it even more so.

Blessed is all of creation
Blessed be my beautiful people
Blessed be the day of our awakening
Blessed is my country
Blessed are her patient hills.

Mweh ka allay!
Guanaguanare

0 comments: