Portrait of Trinidad [Song]


Uploaded by Kerry Gibbons

PORTRAIT OF TRINIDAD
The Mighty Sniper (Mervyn Hodge)

Trinidad is my land, and of it I am proud and glad
But I can't understand why some people does talk it bad
But I know, all of dem wey running dey mouth
Don't know wey dey talkin 'bout
They would paint here black here every day
And the right things they would never say.

Like our sportsmen being rated among the best
Our scholars have sit and passed every test
And put us right 'longside the rest
But then our Pitch Lake is the greatest one of its kind
Our sugar and oil is really refine
So you see friends, this is a real King Solomon's mine.

They does talk some nonsense,
Me ain't know wey they doing it for
'Bout so much violence,
Man, you would swear that we fighting war
Of course, we have we delinquents to face
But just like any other place
Look, the things they does say 'bout here
Is really too much for me to bear.

Because my people are daily making progress
Without any form of stupidness
And in this way, we must gain success
For when we moving, we all move as one body
No bickering between you and me
For our policy stands for racial equality.

Now when a stranger spending a little time in this lovely isle
Every day you see him, he always have a hearty smile
And when his time is up to depart
He would say with pride in heart
I'll be back, you could bet your life
And if I can't come, I go send my wife.

And then he'll tell you, he really wants her to come
To drink some rum and have plenty fun
In this great island in the sun.
For Trinidadians, as foreigners do recall
It doesn't matter whether big or small
Or if you rich or poor,
Friends, we cater for one and all.

So all of dem wey talking
They either drunk or they staring mad
Or maybe they forgetting Mr. Universe belongs to Trinidad
And yet, we have men of talent and skill
With high hopes of improving still
And if you think all this is a lie, the Mighty Sniper go tell you why.

Now, our steelband is the best talent in the world
By calypsos our stories are told
With its rhythm to touch your soul
So, Trinidad, this lovely land of my birth
Small, but overwhelming in worth
And as you know Carnival is the greatest frolic on earth.


Performed by Aldwin Albino | Uploaded by IsDePaAnInMe

Source: The lyrics posted on this blog are often transcribed directly from performances. Although it is my intention to faithfully transcribe I do not get all the words and I have a knack for hearing the wrong thing. Please feel free to correct me or to fill in the words that I miss by dropping me a message via e-mail. I'd be forever grateful. Thanks in advance!
..............................................................................................................................
"Patria est communis omnium parens" - Our native land is the common parent of us all. Keep it beautiful, make it even more so.

Blessed is all of creation
Blessed be my beautiful people
Blessed be the day of our awakening
Blessed is my country
Blessed are her patient hills.

Mweh ka allay!
Guanaguanare

0 comments: