Morena Osha [Song]


Uploaded by IsDePanInMe

MORENA OSHA
By Andre Tanker

There's a beautiful woman always dressed in black
She just went for water around a winding track
She's a spirit of beauty, strong yet gentle being
She walks on this planet like some kind of queen.

Then Morena Osha, aye, aya
She moves like the wind so free over land and rolling sea
Sweet Morena Osha, aye, aya
Always with her rhythmic beat moving down the street.

Morena Osha, aye, aya, Morena Osha, aye, aya
Morena Osha, aye, aya, sweet Morena Osha, aye, aya.

See the fall of evening, feel a cooling breeze
Red and yellow drifting west, green and golden trees
Hear the sound of drummers cracking through the night
Hear them sing the song for Osha 'round a firelight.

Then Morena Osha, aye, aya
She moves like the wind so free over land and rolling sea
Sweet Morena Osha, aye, aya
Always with her rhythmic beat moving down the street
Morena Osha, aye, aya, Morena Osha, aye, aya
Sweet Morena Osha, aye, aya, Morena Osha, aye, aya.

Mavis John sings a lovely rendition of this song:


Uploaded by IsDePanInMe

Source: The lyrics posted on this blog are often transcribed directly from performances. Although it is my intention to faithfully transcribe I do not get all the words and I have a knack for hearing the wrong thing. Please feel free to correct me or to fill in the words that I miss by dropping me a message via e-mail. I'd be forever grateful. Thanks in advance!
..............................................................................................................................


A Note From The Gull

Thank you, Andre Tanker!

There are a few songs which, if I had my way, I'd make anthems for my islands and this song is one of them. Such sweetness, although we think increasingly is more of an ideal to be dreamed about, aspired towards and protected, is a reminder of the unending harvest of love which our soil was created to bring forth.

For me, music like this sets the rhythm against which nature and man live in harmony. I see our swaying palms, I feel the breezes, the warmth, the colours, the smiles, the fruit, the little hands and bright eyes of our children.

But how does it work? Does the music come first from the idyllic dreams of musicians attempting to point the way and using as their only argument, the way in which our tense selves unwind as we are drawn closer to the fires of their imaginations?

Or is it that this vision being presented is simply the musician reminding us of a REALITY that has always been, and which persists despite all reports to the contrary. We, like Andre Tanker already has, will also see it once we open our minds and believe again. As Stevie Wonder sings in his "Power Flower"- "The power in the seeing is believing."

Morena Osha for me represents beautiful Trinidad and Tobago:

"She's a spirit of beauty, strong yet gentle being,
She walks on this planet like some kind of queen.
"

La Reine Rive! Long live the true spirits of these islands!

"Patria est communis omnium parens" - Our native land is the common parent of us all. Keep it beautiful, make it even more so.

Blessed is all of creation
Blessed be my beautiful people
Blessed be the day of our awakening
Blessed is my country
Blessed are her patient hills.

Mweh ka allay!
Guanaguanare

5 comments:

wsteffie said...

Nice:-)

Guanaguanare said...

Sweeeeeeet! Wsteffe, thanks for visiting and listening and commenting.
Blessings

Rishiray said...

Hi there...
You have a link to my travelogue ... "Some garbage I think" ...
can you change the link to

Rishi Sankar: Ah Trini Travelogue:
Http://www.rishiray.com

Thanks so much ...
Keep up the fight!
Rishi

Guanaguanare said...

Rishi, Thanks for visiting and submitting the updated info about your blog. It will be my pleasure to make the changes.
Blessings

Guanaguanare said...

Rishi,
I am going to give your blog a proper visit soon. Looks very interesting!
Blessings