Christmas' Digestifs / New Year's Apéritifs: With God on our Side [Song]


Uploaded by TimeToCastAwayStones

WITH GOD ON OUR SIDE
Composed by Bob Dylan [1963]
Performed live in 1966 by Joan Baez

Oh, my name it is nothing, my age it means less
And the country I come from is called the Midwest
I was taught and brought up there, the laws to abide
And that the land that I live in has God on its side.

Ah, the history books tell it, they tell it so well
The cavalries charged, the Indians fell
The cavalries charged, the Indians died
Ah, the country was young with God on its side.

The Spanish-American War had its day
And the Civil War too was soon laid away
And the names of the heroes, I was made to memorize
With guns in their hands and God on their side.

Well, the First World War, boys, it came and it went
And the reason for fighting, I never did get
But I learned to accept it, and accept it with pride
For you don’t count the dead when God’s on your side.

And the Second World War, it came to an end
We forgave the Germans and called them our friends
Though they murdered six million, in the ovens they fried
Ah, the Germans now too have God on their side.

Well, I’ve learned to hate Russians all through my whole life
If another war comes, it’s them we must fight
To hate them and fear them, to run and to hide
And accept it all bravely with God on my side.

But now we got weapons of the chemical dust
And if fire them we’re forced to, then fire them we must
One push of the button and a shot the world wide
And you never ask questions when God’s on your side.

For many dark hours, I’ve thought about this
That Jesus Christ was betrayed by a kiss
But I can’t think for you, you’ll have to decide
Whether Judas Iscariot had God on his side.

And now as I’m leaving, I’m weary as Hell
The confusion I’m feeling, ain’t no tongue can tell
The words fill my head, they fall to the floor
That if God is on our side, He’ll stop the next war.

Source: The lyrics posted on this blog are often transcribed directly from performances. Although it is my intention to faithfully transcribe I do not get all the words and I have a knack for hearing the wrong thing. Please feel free to correct me or to fill in the words that I miss by dropping me a message via e-mail. I'd be forever grateful. Thanks in advance! ..............................................................................................................................


A Note From The Gull

Thank you, Bob Dylan and Joan Baez.

"For you don’t count the dead when God’s on your side."

"Patria est communis omnium parens" - Our native land is the common parent of us all. Keep it beautiful, make it even more so.

Blessed is all of creation
Blessed be my beautiful people
Blessed be the day of our awakening
Blessed is my country
Blessed are her patient hills.

Mweh ka allay!
Guanaguanare

0 comments: