Sycophancy

CAUTION
VIDUSHAK CROSSING


Botticelli's illustration of Dante's Inferno shows insincere flatterers
grovelling in excrement in the second pit of the eighth circle. SOURCE: Wikipedia

THE SYCOPHANT
By Thomas Charlton, M.D.

Of all the pests that hell to earth has sent,
Whose thoughts and hopes on evil most are bent,
Who knows no friend, whom love can never know,
Who never felt sweet mercy's genial glow -
Protect me from the sycophant who tells
That but on you his fond affection dwells;
Who, cringing to obtain or wealth or power,
Will change his worship in the changing hour;
Who pours his plaudits in your ready ear,
And for your slightest wo will drop the tear.

Such will be he in fortune's brighter hour,
When all her gifts their fickle favors shower:
But changeth scene; let grief or sorrow crowd
To vex your life; let defamation loud
Pursue your name; - how soon the changeling flies
To other climes! How soon his ardor dies

SOURCE: Poems, by Robert M Charlton and
Thomas J Charlton, M.D., Boston, Otis Broaders & Company, 1842.

pg 126
"The authentic leader is a servant. My authority gets its power only by being invested in me by those needing responsible service. Authority comes from the Latin word augere, meaning "to create or increase." My authority has power, but only to be used to create and to increase the well-being of those over whom I exercise that power of authority and of the recipients of our corporate production. When I use that power to increase my own power at the expense of either or both

pg 127
groups who have invested it in me, then I no longer am a leader; I am an oppressive dictator. Oppressive power is not authority; servant leadership is authentic authority.

When, as an oppressive administrator, I find others willing to be abused, I find the weakness of those subordinates collaborating with me in sabotaging the good of the organization. This system is sycophantocracy. It is too common, and it is a self-sabotaging system. When I cannot trust the subordinates to provide me with honest descriptions of the problems and successes of the organisation, I lose contact with the real goal of our organization. When I cannot depend on the workers to strive for productivity, but only for good evaluations from me as the authority I lose the opportunity for success. When I cannot share the benefits with my subordinates because they are resentful, I lose a happy workforce. Their resentfulness feeds their sycophancy, Their sycophancy disallows them from sharing enjoyment with me, the resented authority. This sycophancy empties my authority of any real power..... When my authority inspires sycophancy, I have no followers, only resentful manipulators of my power for their own selfish gain."
Source: The paradox of power and weakness. By George Kunz. Albany: State University of New York, 1998
ADDRESS NARCISSISTIC SUPPLY AND FIND THE COURAGE TO DITCH THE CLOWNS AND SYCOPHANTS
..............................................................................................................................
"Patria est communis omnium parens" - Our native land is the common parent of us all. Keep it beautiful, make it even more so.

Blessed is all of creation
Blessed be my beautiful people
Blessed be the day of our awakening
Blessed is my country
Blessed are her patient hills.

Mweh ka allay!
Guanaguanare

0 comments: