They Don't Make Them Like Me Anymore [Song]

 
Uploaded by Glenroy Joseph

THEY DON'T MAKE THEM LIKE ME ANYMORE

By Lord Pretender

People always talking but plenty ah dem don't know
And that is why they always criticising
The true, true giants of kaiso
But like they forgetting the old Preddie
Some of great calypsoes I sang universally
In New York they start the Hall of Fame
But they couldn't leave out the great Pretender's name.

I've been singing kaiso from a little boy since 1929
Always had proper lyrics and doh talk 'bout sweet music
Good rendition, rhythm and rhyme
And year after year, Predie always there,
The facts you can't ignore, I am very sure
They don't make them like me anymore.

When I jump in the ring,
Boy, ah fus dem fellas coulda really sing
Them was the mouthpiece, the chronicle
Always defending the rights of poor people
Oh yes, we had we breakaway and leggo
But they used to sing things that people should know
We didn't have no records or radio
Is you had to prove yourself singing kaiso.

Men like Douglas, Lion, Atilla, Radio, Growler, Beginner
Caresser and the great Executor
------------, Albany, King Ivory, Normandy,
Mentor and Modern Inventor
Tiger, Unknown, and Invader, Unknown Soldier and Ras Kassa
Destroyer and the great Kitchener
But, as I said before,
They don't make them like me anymore.

This is something you ought to know
Is over six decades I singing kaiso
They change up kaiso in all form and fashion
But I still remain a true, true kaisonian
Oh yes, I love mih soca and uptempo
But me ent letting go true, true kaiso
I want you to keep these names in your head
Some good calypsonians, both living or dead:

Viking, Zebra, Mighty Killer, Melody, Terror, the great Spoiler
Striker, Ziegfield and Conqueror
Superior, Cypher, the great Sparrow
Blakie, Brynner, Bomber, Cristo
Shorty, Duke, Rose and Valentino
Sniper, Relator, Explainer, Brigo
Funny, Francine, Gypsy and Maestro,
Stalin, Chalkdust, Shadow, Swallow
Composer, Penguin and Power I can't ignore... but
They don't make them like me any more.

Now everywhere I go, people want to know
What go really happen to kaiso?
I told them that I may be dead and gone
But sweet soca and kaiso bound to live on
When some ah we big boys get wipe off the map
There are plenty good, young singers to fill the gap
So who ent hear dey name, I hope dey ent bawl
Is too much a good kaisonian to call.

Like Tambu, Baron, David Rudder,
Rootsman, Scrunter, Denyse Plummer
Sugar Aloes, Merchant, Luta, Cro Cro,
Johnny King, Crazy, All Rounder
Poser, Bally, Pink Panther,
Little Natasha, Machel Montano
Ebony, Contender, Delamo, Super Blue, Protector, De Fosto
Watchman, GB, Rio, Alberto
Kenny J, Lady B and Eastlyn Orr... but
They don't make them like me any more.

Extempo Encore #1:
Friends, I was bound to come back because
I heard the tumultuous rounds of applause
It's very gratifying to know
You appreciate Preddie calypso
I love to sing for people with intelligence
And you are such a beautiful audience
Believe me, friends, this ent old talk
I love the calypso fans in New York.

Extempo Encore #2
Friends, I know you love to hear Preddie
Singing extemporaneously
A lot of giant singers coming behind
Me ent want nobody keep me in mind
They have Composer and Terror, Bomber, don't forget Relator
Me don't want dem fellas complain
So if you call me I ent coming back again.

Extempo Encore #3
Friends, as a true, true kaisonian
I must thank you for your acclamation
Your acknowledgment gives me the inspiration
To sing these extempo composition
But my performance I'll have to curtail
I hope that you would let good sense prevail
Make all yuh friends to know
You met the Michael Jordan of kaiso!

Source: The lyrics posted on this blog are often transcribed directly from performances. Although it is my intention to faithfully transcribe I do not get all the words and I have a knack for hearing the wrong thing. Please feel free to correct me or to fill in the words that I miss by dropping me a message via e-mail. I'd be forever grateful. Thanks in advance! ..............................................................................................................................
 
  A Note From The Gull

Thank you, Lord Pretender!

"Patria est communis omnium parens" - Our native land is the common parent of us all. Keep it beautiful, make it even more so.

Blessed is all of creation
Blessed be my beautiful people
Blessed be the day of our awakening
Blessed is my country
Blessed are her patient hills.

Mweh ka allay!
Guanaguanare

0 comments: