Chalkie, the Fishmonger. [Song]


Uploaded by IsDePanInMe

CHALKIE, THE FISH MONGER
By The Mighty Chalkdust

Year after year I selling fish - Trinbagonians' favourite dish
I never thought that one day it would come to this
Me and All Rounder by this junction selling all kind of fish from the ocean
Is the first time mih client showing discrimination
All mih different fish sell out like hot pone
But this lil Cro Cro, all mih clients, them leave it alone.
Mih first buyer was Mister Robin Montano
He watch mih Cro Cro and steups with he mouth long-long-long so
Everybody know Cro Cro makes a lovely dish
Montano say Cro Cro is an excuse for a fish
Dana Seetahal, Israel Khan and Fuad Khan
Like they want to control mih fishing operation
'Cause all they want is the flat fish called Power
They buy out all, hook, line and sinker
And leave back the sweetist fish on mih stall.
They ent want no Cro Cro at all.

I sell out mih Ancho, I sell mih Bonito
I drop the price and all,
They ent want no Cro Cro at all.

What Cro Cro do them, I don't know, must be the way the fish does crow
'Cause when you catch it, it does sing you a calypso
All dem beti from UNC watching mih Cro Cro cuteye lately
They say plainly Cro Cro can't go in doubles and roti
Senator Wade Mark, all mih Cro Cro he leave back
He love to attack, so Wade Mark buy out all mih young shark.
Well, Patrick Manning at one time, he did love Cro Cro
Now he say Cro Cro mix with Aloes does purge you for so
Whole week he only buying Flying Fish alone
He plan to chook Bajan, Owen Arthur, with the Flying Fish bone
And quite from Barbados, Owen Arthur call
He say Flying Fish have Bajan passport, so he want back all
Morgan Job, order Pakro and Tobago Jack,
He love white fish, Cro Cro skin too black
He say our local fish bitter like gall,
So he ent want no Cro Cro at all.

I sell out mih Ancho, I sell mih Bonito
Cro Cro bone does chook hard although it small
So dey ent want no Cro Cro at all.

Joan Yuille-Williams' ministry, every year they does keep a party
They would serve Cro Cro and on the side a little curry
This year Joan give a whole soca boat engine to fisherman, Jazzy Pantin
So Jazzy could catch plenty Cro Cro, Carite and Dolphin
But Sat Maharaj turn blue, he want a chutney engine too
So he take an oath to harpoon Cro Cro with a racing boat.
Well, Mighty Sparrow beg me hard to grant him his wish
He say he want both a dem - Wabine and salt fish
Sparrow wanted 'bout five big-big Catfish also
But Gypsy, Abu Bakr and De Fosto buy out all hototo
Fitzgerald Hinds say he salary small, Manning does treat him mean
All he could afford is a quarter pound of fry dry and sardine
Kelvin Ramnath say he love curry stew
But only with Caroni river Cascadu
He say Cro Cro and curry bitter like gall
So he ent want no Cro Cro at all.

I sell out mih Ancho, I sell mih Bonito
I give them Cro Cro for lagniappe and all
They ent want no Cro Cro at all.

Sugar Aloes call me on mih cell, he order all the goldfish I could sell
Aloes even buy ten goldfish for Baron as well
Iwer George and Machel Montano calling, they say Cro Cro too hard to clean
They prefer to buy canal ---------, eel and wabine
In all dem inclusive fete, not a Cro Cro ent serve as yet
They serving their guests plenty fried chicken with plenty leg and breast.
Well, Sadiq Baksh say he must push he foot in everything, of course
He want a fish with plenty foot, so he buy an octopus
Keith Rowley plan to eat up Manning to be the next leader
So he order one set of Piranha and a big, long Barracuda
Some kaiso judges and all pass 'round by mih stall
They buy King fish, London fish, Protector fish - no Cro Cro at all
Downtown businessmen begin to wail
They doh want head, they want Cro Cro tail
But the court take 'way me and All Rounder scale and say Cro Cro not for sale.

I sell out mih Ancho, I sell mih Bonito
Toucan fish biting by Laventille Mall
But they ent want no Cro Cro at all.

Source: The lyrics posted on this blog are often transcribed directly from performances. Although it is my intention to faithfully transcribe I do not get all the words and I have a knack for hearing the wrong thing. Please feel free to correct me or to fill in the words that I miss by dropping me a message via e-mail. I'd be forever grateful. Thanks in advance! ..............................................................................................................................  

 
A Note From The Gull

Thank you, Mighty Chalkdust.  

"Patria est communis omnium parens" - Our native land is the common parent of us all. Keep it beautiful, make it even more so.

Blessed is all of creation
Blessed be my beautiful people
Blessed be the day of our awakening
Blessed is my country
Blessed are her patient hills.

Mweh ka allay!
Guanaguanare

0 comments: