My Way of Protest. [Song]


Uploaded by edward spencer

MY WAY OF PROTEST
By The Mighty Chalkdust

When postmen see things that they don't like, they either go slow or strike
And when some people hate the government, they leave for a next continent
And when some people cannot get employment - G.C.E. boys scrunting on the pavement
For that, some of you might curse and get vex too, but listen to what I does do:
When things ent right, I does feel uptight
I does feel to curse, sometimes I does feel to fight
But every man in life today will show anger in his own way
So Panday will walk out from the House and Robbie will say, "No justice, you louse!"
When I'm vex, well, I cannot go and cuff Eric in his eye
So instead, I does simply cry, "Juba Doo Bai!"

You see why I cry, ["Juba, Juba Doo Bai!"]?

There are many ills in this country that make most of us angry
Like when government close George the Fifth Park, or T&TEC leave us in the dark
And when the police up to Gonzales went and put poor people things on the pavement
And City Council getting the Drag Brothers vexed, a madman and all will get vex.
That can't be right, you must feel uptight
You might feel to fight, or shoot someone on sight
But not me, I does think before I ever go and break the law
So when Basil Pitt lost his seat and yet they made him Minister complete
I'd like to tell Basil to try and kiss my upper thigh
But I does cool down and cry, ["Juba Doo Bai!"]

You see why I cry, ["Juba, Juba Doo Bai!"]?

Oh, citizens are out in the rain, they have nowhere to complain
They have no cash to file an injunction, they haven't an Ombudsman
And that is why some boys became guerrillas, or turn to mutiny like them soldiers
Or use violence and end up being charged, or cuss the judge like Ramesh Maharaj - Not me!
I try to win doing my own thing,
I used to 'fraid Karl but now I 'fraid Selwyn
So when they ban "Tourist Leggo", no road march for that calypso
I must get vex with CDC for they destroying Caribbean unity
I'd like to take the CDC to Shadow to buss up dey toe
But I 'fraid Shadow dig out their eye, so, ["Juba Doo Bai!"]

You see why I cry, ["Juba, Juba Doo Bai!"]?

Juba Doo Bai is there for a stand against human oppression
It's a cry against foreign domination, we want a free land without corruption
That's why I am vexed when from the Treasury here, a hundred thousand dollars disappear
And Selwyn holding people like he mad, while the real thieves in his backyard.
Selwyn, wey you do? I vex till I blue.
You mean you can't see that the Doc using you?
The people you should hold and try, to them you turning a blind eye
Hold the police officer who they say was working right here for the CIA
Since you half blind, next time we meet, I'll say, "Selwyn, you cokey eye."
But my friends, I am too shy, so, ["Juba Doo Bai!"]

That's the meaning of ["Juba, Juba Doo Bai!"]
So my friends, whenever you hear that cry ["Juba, Juba Doo Bai!"]
That's to pull them folks from their places high ["Juba, Juba Doo Bai!"]
To eradicate them European ties ["Juba, Juba Doo Bai!"]
To protect and defend our rights, I cry, ["Juba, Juba Doo Bai!"]
Mister, take off that old British tie, ["Juba, Juba Doo Bai!"]
When I want to curse in my own style, ["Juba, Juba Doo Bai!"]
No four letter words for me, not this guy! ["Juba, Juba Doo Bai!"]
Tubal Uriah Butler, wherever you lie, ["Juba, Juba Doo Bai!"]
To your memory I dedicate this cry, ["Juba, Juba Doo Bai!"]

Source: The lyrics posted on this blog are often transcribed directly from performances. Although it is my intention to faithfully transcribe I do not get all the words and I have a knack for hearing the wrong thing. Please feel free to correct me or to fill in the words that I miss by dropping me a message via e-mail. I'd be forever grateful. Thanks in advance! ..............................................................................................................................  

 
A Note From The Gull

Thank you, Mighty Chalkdust. Juba Doo Bai! 

"Patria est communis omnium parens" - Our native land is the common parent of us all. Keep it beautiful, make it even more so.

Blessed is all of creation
Blessed be my beautiful people
Blessed be the day of our awakening
Blessed is my country
Blessed are her patient hills.

Mweh ka allay!
Guanaguanare

0 comments: