A Pilgrim's Way [Song]

Uploaded by Peter Gray

A PILGRIM'S WAY 
By Peter Bellamy based on the poem by Rudyard Kipling
Performed by Mike Wilson & Damien Barber

The video above replaces the original which was removed.
Some words do not match.


I will not look for noble saints to guide me on my way,
Nor for male or female devilkins to lead my feet astray.
If these be added, I'll rejoice—if not, I shall not mind,
As long as I have leave and choice to meet my fellow-kind.

For as we come and as we go, and very soon go we!
The people, Lord, Thy people, are good enough for me!

Thus I will honour pious men whose virtue shines so bright
Though none is more amazed than I when I by chance do right,
And I will pity foolish men for woes their sins have bred
Though ninety-nine percent of mine I've brought on my own head.

Yes, Amorite or Eremite, or just General Averagee,
The people, Lord, Thy people, are good enough for me!

And if they bore me overmuch, I will not shade mine ears,
Recalling many thousand such that I have bored to tears.
And if they labour to impress me, I will not doubt or scoff;
Since I myself have done no less and have sometimes pulled it off.

Yes, as we are and we are not, and as we pretend to be,
The people, Lord, Thy people, are good enough for me!

And when they work me random wrong, as often-times has been,
I will not cherish hate too long for my hands are none too clean.
And if they do me random good, I will not feign surprise.
No more than those that I have cheered with wayside courtesies.

Yes, as we give and as we take, whate'er our takings be
The people, Lord, Thy people, are good enough for me!

And deliver me from every pride — the Middle, High, and Low
That keeps me from a brother's side, whatever pride he show.
And purge from me all heresy of thought and deed and pen
That bids me judge him otherwise than I am judged. Amen!

For as we live and as we die — if after-Death there be
The people, Lord, Thy people, are good enough for me!

That I may sing for Crowd or King or for road-borne company,
That I may labour in my day, vocation and degree,
To prove the same by deed and name, and hold unshakenly
Where'er I go, whate'er I know, and whoe'er my neighbour be.

This single faith in Life and Death and to Eternity:
The people, Lord, Thy people, are good enough for me!

Lyrics source. The video from which the transcription was done was removed. This version is a replacement so this explains why some of the words do not match.
..............................................................................................................................

A Note From The Gull


"The people, Lord, Thy people, are good enough for me!"

"Patria est communis omnium parens" - Our native land is the common parent of us all. Keep it beautiful, make it even more so.

Blessed is all of creation
Blessed be my beautiful people
Blessed be the day of our awakening
Blessed is my country
Blessed are her patient hills.

Mweh ka allay!
Guanaguanare

0 comments: