Mock Democracy [Song]


Uploaded by SourPix

MOCK DEMOCRACY
By Lord Christo [1966]

Alabama, Alabama. I so glad I was born here
And not in Alabama, Alabama
I happy I was born here
I have nothing against the United States
So listen carefully while I elucidate
Though Congress passed Civil Rights Bill
Alabama subjugating my people still.

They profess to believe in a democracy
Yet refuse to recognise racial equality
Some people got together, formed themselves a clan
Defied the laws of Congress to press the coloured man
So looking back it makes me so glad
To belong to Tobago and Trinidad
[So knowing that, it makes me feel glad
To belong to Tobago and Trinidad.]

In Alabama, they show no mercy
To people like you and me
And in churches during High Mass
Suddenly you hear a big blast
Men, women and little children too
Running helter-skelter, don't know what to do
When the obituary next day is read
Fifteen big people injured, four children dead.

Yet they profess to believe in a democracy
But refuse to recognise racial equality
Those who got together, formed themselves a clan
Defied the laws of Congress just to press the coloured man
Make me so glad then to really know
I belong to Trinidad and Tobago
[So knowing that, it makes me feel glad
To belong to Tobago and Trinidad.]

Well for instance, let's take Florida
And take a peep at what's going on there
And even in some parts of Britain
They don't treat you like a human
They'll persecute and lynch you in Jacksonville
Torture you and frame you up in Notting Hill
Exorcising your humanity
And still they claim to believe in democracy

Why profess to believe in a democracy
When in truth it is really high class hypocrisy
Well, I'm in sympathy with Dr. Martin Luther King
But we have our Premier, so we say thanks to him
We could make the world know
We have democracy in Trinidad and Tobago.
[So looking back, it makes me feel glad
To belong to Tobago and Trinidad.]

Source: The lyrics posted on this blog are often transcribed directly from performances. Although it is my intention to faithfully transcribe I do not get all the words and I have a knack for hearing the wrong thing. Please feel free to correct me or to fill in the words that I miss by dropping me a message via e-mail. I'd be forever grateful. Thanks in advance! ..............................................................................................................................

"Patria est communis omnium parens" - Our native land is the common parent of us all. Keep it beautiful, make it even more so.

Blessed is all of creation
Blessed be my beautiful people
Blessed be the day of our awakening
Blessed is my country
Blessed are her patient hills.

Mweh ka allay!
Guanaguanare

0 comments: