English Diplomacy [Song]


Uploaded by Marle de bakker

ENGLISH DIPLOMACY
By The Mighty Sparrow

They tell me that Englishmen are gentlemen
Still I'd rather see a Yankee with my girlfriend
People say that Englishmen are gentlemen
I'd rather see a Yankee talking to my girlfriend
For with the Yankee man, I wouldn't be angry
Sooner or later he will spend his money freely
These people from Oxford University
Intend to get through with their big words and diplomacy.

Chorus:
You can hear them with...
"Positively, definitely, most assuredly", but no currency
So if your girlfriend have no common sense
Without a cent, he's sure to penetrate her defence.

When you see an Englishman is on a spree
Like if he swallow a Webster's dictionary
Only using big words like a millionaire
And not at all, the man wouldn't even buy a beer
And he so boldfaced, picking and choosing woman
Til he get a Kay Francis or an Ingrid Bergman
When he fix up and time for payment reach
He will give her a dollar and a bundle of speech.

Chorus:
Such like...
"You are so loveable, quite kissable
You are quite capable, but it's regrettable
That I cannot recompense you most adequately
For the accomplished talent you've bestowed on me."

In spending their money they seems gifted
The biggest fete do not get them excited
When a Yankee will drink whiskey with beer as chaser
An Englishman will sip his Coca-Cola
That is why the girls love to serve the Yankees
Because he will always say, "Baby, the change is yours."
When an Englishman find a waitress looking nice
All he will say is, "Miss, I can do with some more ice."

Chorus:
And he will tell her...
"You are so competent, quite intelligent, working very efficient"
But he wouldn't give her one damn cent.
So, if your girlfriend have no common sense
Without a cent, man, he have she over the fence.

If my girlfriend tired living
Just let me catch her with an Englishman gossiping
Because every Englishman is a diplomat
And I know that nothing good wouldn't come out of that
Old talk alone, and England win a war
So she may get a Coca-Cola, but nothing more
And if she ask the limey for a raise
He will tell her of the ladies in olden days.

Chorus:
How they had so much purity and their chastity and nobility
They didn't want money
So if your girlfriend have no common sense
Without a cent he's going to penetrate her defence.

Source: The lyrics posted on this blog are often transcribed directly from performances. Although it is my intention to faithfully transcribe I do not get all the words and I have a knack for hearing the wrong thing. Please feel free to correct me or to fill in the words that I miss by dropping me a message via e-mail. I'd be forever grateful. Thanks in advance!
..............................................................................................................................



A Note From The Gull

Thank you, Mighty Sparrow.

"Patria est communis omnium parens" - Our native land is the common parent of us all. Keep it beautiful, make it even more so.

Blessed is all of creation
Blessed be my beautiful people
Blessed be the day of our awakening
Blessed is my country
Blessed are her patient hills.

Mweh ka allay!
Guanaguanare

0 comments: